Thursday, June 21, 2007

versailles


leap from bush
Originally uploaded by Ffoggy

Yesterday Nick and I went to Versailles. As we learned from our audio tour, Louis XIV built it to be kind of a super-deluxe prison o' fancy-pantsiness. He forced French nobles to spend part of every year at Versailles worshiping him, and by doing so managed to awe and bore the formerly rebellious second estate into submission. That may sound like a lame plan, but now that I've been there I totally get why it was successful. Versailles is intimidatingly beautiful and completely exhausting. I almost collapsed during the hour we spent wandering around lost in the weird little faux peasant village that Marie Antoinette built for herself and her friends. When we finally found the exit I was in no condition to rebel against anybody, let alone god's chosen vessel on earth. Well played, Louis!

By the way, the French seem to have totally gotten over their beef with Marie. She is BIG tourist business now. That's life, I guess. One day people are screaming for your head, two centuries later they want to buy frilly pink souvenirs with your name embroidered on them.

If you're thinking of visiting Versailles, try downloading Rick Steves' free podcast tour from iTunes. It's a good alternative to the museum audioguide. It's much cornier (he actually makes a "Louie-Louie" joke - gag), but also a lot less focused on the names of the architects and painters and horticulturalists who created Versailles. Don't use his tour for the Louvre, though. It's hopelessly outdated. If anyone has any other good free podcast walking tours for Paris, please let me know.

16 comments:

SILENT ONE said...

People , be careful in Versailles. My wallet was pickpocketed there and I lost my credit cards which got misused!!!

Writer said...

Wow.... I'm so jealous. Traveling to different place. Interesting. I definitely love this blog.

Writer said...

Interesting

Renegade said...

I would love to visit there one day... and be careful anywhere you go, pick-pockets are everywhere!

Check out Renegade's BS

Ed said...

What is with the pickpocket paranoia?

Did you try the creperie I suggested?

Mark said...

Great photo!

Also, be careful in Versailles.

I stole someones wallet there, and used all their credit cards to buy cheesecakes.

It was totally worth it.

MisunderstoodAngel said...

I remember reading about Versailles in World History. I loved learning about it. Super interesting and so was learning about Marie. It's a shame that her and her husband had to die by the gullitione (Im pretty sure that's not the way to spell it! :) ) I hope that you have a wonderful time there and treasure every moment!

Linda said...

Your blog is sooooo funny! I have laughed and laughed and shown it to everyone! I am very much looking forward to reading about your next adventures. Definitely merits the "Blog of Note" spot. Well done!

Ann said...

I was there years ago (10?) and got lost in that silly peasant village too. But I loved Paris and can't wait to go back sometime. What a beautiful city.

Also love your writing.

Ivan Benito said...

Paris and Versailles! Great city and great palace!

lady macleod said...

I love the photograph, and you are dead on about the French and Marie - never ones to allow sentiment to get in the way of business.

I haven't been since they fixed the fountains, but I plan to get up there during the fall.

Nice blog.

no more said...

great pic!

Wendy said...

I love the photo! One day I would love to make it to France myself. Enjoy the trip and while being careful- have fun!!!

thrity something teacher

note2selllf said...

i love this blog too because i love to travel. thanks for sharing and congrats on being a blog of note

Russell Spencer "Spenny" Relyea IV said...

jeez your lucky. heh heh

HealthyGirl said...

ahh you're so lucky! i went there the other weekend, but didn't have time to go to Maria Antoinette's village. I really wanted to, though. But the gardens are fabulous!