Friday, June 22, 2007

Fête de la Musique


Originally uploaded by nonobstant

Last night, Nick and I went to La Fête de la Musique, a summer solstice party where the streets of Paris are filled with hundreds of musicians. It's great -- almost every street corner is stage for a different act, and you can spend all night wandering through the city, dancing and drinking. Nick and I saw a choir doing Carmina Burana at a medieval church, a band that was kind of like the French Raffi (complete with adorable little French munchkins bopping around to the music), two different salsa bands, a brass band playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," several DJs (including one whose set ended when the crowd chucked a can at the head of someone from his entourage, I think because they didn't like the Rage Against the Machine song he was spinning), and a stereo system blasting Michael Jackson remixes in front of a parking garage exit. When people tried to drive their cars out, the crowd would surround them and grind up against the doors and windows. Amazingly, no one seemed to mind. I guess everything goes during La Fête.

The best part was the dancing. Man, can French people dance! We wandered through an outdoor rave that seemed to be composed entirely of people who were, like, a hundred times cooler than us. Kind of like this girl. I have never seen people dance as well as these kids were dancing. It was like someone gave Justin Timberlake's backup dancers a whole bunch of ecstasy and set them loose to roam the streets of Paris. We were totally awestruck. We stood there for an hour or so, watching and drinking cans of beer from a corner store. It was the most fun I've had in Paris so far. I really wish Maggie had been there, since she spent our entire time in Europe looking for a good dance club. Last night, all of Paris was a dance club, Mag, and it was super cool.

27 comments:

Hannah said...

I caught your Blog on the "Blogs of note thread" and I really like it.
I went to Paris a few years ago and it was fantastic. I am so envious of you right now! :) When I was there I lived off of three things

1. Baggetts
2. Crapes
3. These salami and cream cheese sandwiches.

Be careful about red meat though, it is as if it's in their constitution NOT to cook it before you eat it... They sort of just run a flashlight over it and put it on your plate.

Great post.

April's Place said...

Great blog!

Robin Rich said...

I like your take on Paris. It puts me there.

Bizzy Girl said...

Wow this sounds awesome. What a great experience...I'm envious! When I went to Paris it was just for a weekend in November and was more of a tease than anything else. Nothing cool like this happens in the fall :-(

joseph19 said...

hi ,
u are really enjoyin life it seems
nice
hope u keep doin that...
god bless!

Jacob Mathai said...

The sense of community in France is well evolved. Nice blog!

B said...

'I have never seen people dance as well as these kids were dancing. It was like someone gave Justin Timberlake's backup dancers a whole bunch of ecstasy and set them loose to roam the streets of Paris.'
That made my day.

And you've made me want to jet off to Paris now.

Thanks. In the sincere sense.

/// said...

Love your photos!

alyssa said...

"When good Americans die they go to Paris."
excellent descriptions.

Boina Descalza said...

jesus! that's a dream! I was in Paris in 2005, and i falled in love with this city. And, of course, i love the music. That's the perfect combination. Bonne chance

Unknown said...

Kudos for getting "Blogs Of Note"
I really love the way that you described Fete de La Musique.

It was as if I was there in the crowd with you and I have to go one day!

Kristin said...

You are fabulous ! You are my travel blogging idol .... since I just started this today, about 4 hours ago, don't get too full of yourself. But I shall begin stalking you immediately. As soon as I can get to Paris.

Seriously - you are hilarious and I plan to copy whatever cool ideas I can. Keep it up !!

David said...

I'm awestruck by both your photos, and your descriptive writing. Kudos!

zen said...

you live in france? thats amazingly amazing. i want to liver there in 2-3 years maybe. maybe sooner. but anyway cool blog =)

Engelfluglen said...

Hey, I saw your blog on blogs of note, and I'm going to link to it on my blog, LIENDW. I'm working as an au pair and doing some traveling in Europe. I've been to Alcase in France, thats it. Reminds me of East Jersey..... :)

philippa_moore said...

Anna, I have just found your excellent blog and felt a shiver of excitement when I realised that you're travelling the world just like I am. Only major difference is that I started where you're finishing, in San Francisco! I'm in New York City at the moment, and head to London in two weeks.

I loved reading all your tips and insights on where you've been so far - it's given me a lot of food for thought on places to see and things to do once I hit Europe.

Keep having fun and taking everything in the way you have, and cherish every second of this wonderful freedom.....

Cheers,
Phil

amishaph said...

aphinteresting !!

ALF said...

Congrats on being a blog of note! Sounds like you're having a blast here in Paris!

L and P said...

Wow, this brings back memories. I was in Paris last year for my honeymoon on the First Day of Summer or the Fete de La Musique. It was as you described--except last year it all happend in the rain--I loved it.

For a GREAT walking tour--google London Walks and then click on their Paris link. Sometime the walks get crowded and you are walking as a full fledged tourist but after learned so much about the French Revolution--who cares.

Carla said...

I was in Paris in 05 during the fete de la musique. It was fabulous. Thanks for taking me back there.

1977 said...

hello anna!

ive been to paris 3 times, and they always treated me nice. bt they are nicer when u start with "pardon, si vous plaise... hmmmm" they figure out u dont know the language, bt u r trying, and theyll be extremeley helpfull- even if in french!

I dont know how much time u still have, bt the opera is a great treat. u can get tkts for about $10 euros... theyll try to discourage u saying "u cant see anything" bt its not all true!

also seeing the sunset over the eifeil tower is the most exquisite site, and dont worry if you forget to bring wine or champagne, after sunset people will start selling... jst remember to haggle, once they came around and wanted 20 euros.. i got them down to 5...

bruffonthebrunt said...

so anna, have you been anywhere cold?

Polusia said...

Wow that's intresting hehe:)
But realy your blog is great!

Online marketing consultant said...

Ah bien je vois.Yeah Paris is always amazing with great historical buildings and the famous French wines as well as top of the range fashion designers.Great you enjoyed being in Paris. But did you visit my uncle Francois Meterran?

Merriam said...

I can see you like to travel! Though flying isn't really my thing, I am a bit interested in Europe, especially France and England. I'm sure I'll have fun exploring the rest of you're blog! The title "Blog of Note" is well-deserved.

Proximaventura2 said...

iam from portugal, i love the photo of the musicions and your personality.good luck e live the life in easy way

Proximaventura2 said...

i love that photo

good luck.

deni from portugal