Friday, July 27, 2007

america, f*** yeah!

Nick and I spent our last 24 hours in London enjoing the Indian food and the Tate Modern. Thanks for the advice, all. To be completely honest, though, London was a bit of a letdown after Paris. Summer in Paris turned Nick and I into horrible city snobs, apparently. I think it'll be a while before Paris's rosy glow wears off and we can learn to love another landscape.

But now I'm back, and it's great! My mom and I went out to the Northern Virginia hinterland to visit the area's sole remaining Roy Rogers yesterday. I scarfed down some fried chicken and an extra large fries, and suddenly the fire of my soul was relit. Mmmm, fried.

Some things about the US have been a bit of a shock, admittedly. Public transit here blows, for example. I miss the Paris Metro. And wow, look at us with the capitalism! Nick and I observed often on our trip that no one in the world gets capitalism like the US. In other countries, shops are closed even when I'm desperate to acquire their goods, and waiters are totally indifferent to my needs. By contrast, in the US when I'd like to acquire a good or service, 99.9% of the time someone has figured out a way to sell it to me. America is all about beating its way to your door with a better mousetrap, and that's awesome. On the other hand, the unrelenting zeal with which Yanks are encouraged to consume is kind of crazy, when you think about it, which you do when you return from a two-month absence. I walked into a Banana Republic yesterday to kill time before meeting a coworker for some drinks, and I had to leave immediately because I almost had a panic attack. I suddenly felt deeply threatened by the borg-like homogenizing power of this season's cute new apple-green silk wrap dresses. Back off, The Man! I need some time to readjust before I can suckle at your teat again. I can't wait to get back to San Francisco, where I'm a total moderate compared to all the other crazy-crunchy-granola-off-the-grid commies.

Before that, though, I've got my road trip through New England with Megan & Ginny. New Englanders, please advise. Alex, I know you'll have wise words to share about Maine. What about Boston? What should be on our to-do list there? And is the Cape or Nantucket worth the detour? I'm sort of tempted to visit the Nantucket airport because that's where the TV show Wings was filmed, so clearly I need ideas for better ways to spend our time, so that Megan is not forced to beat me to death with her bar review books.

7 comments:

Irish said...

When in Boston you should go on a duck tour. You can start at the Prudential Center or at the Science Museum...but personally I like it better from the Prue. Its cheesy tourity fun...but you get to ride in boats that go on land and sea and quack at people passing by.

Boston is a fun town to walk around in. Chinatown is cool...if you like chinese that is the place to go. One of my favorite places there is Panang's. Walking through the Boston Common is nice...or the Freedom Trail (the red line that winds through the city). Quincy Market is a fun little area...and you can also go see the place that inspired Cheers. If I recall the original Cheers is near Beacon Hill...but there is one in near Quincy Market as well.

Also if you can get tickets then you should try to go to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Even if you hate baseball that is an experience. Especially hanging out on Yawkey Way right before the game starts.

The Cape is fun. P-Town can be a blast - lots of random shops there...many with items that make you sratch your head and ask why. And sometimes you can even see whales passing by...and whales are amazing to see. Some of the best field trips in school where the whale watches (yes I am a dork). There is lots to do in Boston and the Cape so I'm sure you won't be bored during your time here.

Linda said...

Hi Anna! Glad you are safely back in the U.S. of A. I didn't want to say, but I knew you would be disappointed in London after Paris. It's not all bad but it certainly doesn't possess the beauty and atmosphere of the French capital. Also our weather is alarmingly bad at the moment - I almost said "please don't come!" I did a 5 week New England road trip about 10 years ago and it was the best trip ever! I recommend a visit to Mark Twain's house in Hartford, outside Boston. It made a lasting impression in me. It's beautiful, atmospheric and definitely one of the high points of the trip. Along the beach North of Boston there are restaurants where you choose your lobster, have it cooked any way you like and then just eat it on the beach. Do this at sunset - it is sheer bliss!Other good memories include a vist to a Quaker village and also Kennybunkport which is very pretty. I loved Maine - much prefered it to the Cape. I want to see you leaping out of a covered bridge. I have got the children leaping and jumping and the girls definitely do it better than the boys! We have now progressed to freeze frame handstands and cartwheels...hours of fun, thank you for the inspiration!Enjoy New England. I hope you will continue the blog which I will be following from the lavender fields of Provence. Goodbye grey London skies!

Keith said...

As in the first comment I would really suggest making it to a Red Sox game. I went a few years ago with 2 english friends and it was the highlight of our trip even with the 2 english guys not knowing anything about baseball. The Boston fans are great.

Ed said...

I feel you on the transition back into America. I remember when I'd been in Germany for a few months and was futzing around on the puter, looking at pictures of NYC. I was kind of alarmed at the extent to which advertising covers every single surface. You get used to it when you're here, but after a while abroad it looks really tacky and gross.

BUT you gotta love supermarkets being open on Sundays, 24-hour stores, and hey, the NYC subway isn't as polished as the Paris metro, but it runs all night, has express trains, and when people strike we throw 'em into prison! All good things.

Christine said...

Welcome home.

Funny how little connections pop up in life. After reading your post today, I returned to my book of essays by Sarah Vowell, "Take the Cannoli," and read a piece called, "Vindictively American." Similar sentiment to your post. And in the mail, I got my next Netflix, "Globe Trekker: Paris."

I have never been to Boston, but if I could go, I would want to visit First Church on Marlborough Street.

"For nearly four centuries, First Church in Boston has stood for freedom of the spirit and religious tolerance. Located in Boston’s Back Bay, our congregation strives to be a vibrant, friendly city church, embodying the ideals of Unitarian Universalism and social justice. Gathered in 1630, we are gathering still in friendship, freedom and love."

Ed said...

Am I going to be forced to say goog things about Boston? Here goes....

Back Bay and South End are quite cute for walking around. The area around the Common is also nice. I hear going to a game at Fenway is indeed awesome, but be prepared to pay a bunch for tickets (and do it now). Given that you live in SF, probably no reason to go to Chinatown, though Ginza sushi is tasty. Also, apparently the North End has amazing Italian.

Oh, and driving in Boston is absolutely horrific. Worst drivers ever. Leave your car somewhere in the burbs and train it.

Irish said...

The North End does have some of the best Italian around. Can't really go wrong with any restaurant there. =)

I also second the comment about driving in Boston. Bad drivers and nothing is labeled correctly since the city is in a constant state of construction so unless you have GPS then taking the T is the way to go. With the T avoid the green line if you can...its slow and MEGA crowded. Tend to get packed in like sardines. Very unpleasent.