Saturday, August 11, 2007

we'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when


The Daft Punk show was AMAZING. We got there a bit late, and I had to sprint all the way from the subway to the concert, and tripped and skinned my knee in the process. I didn't even notice I was bleeding until after the 90-minute set -- I was too focused on jumping up and down and screaming, "We love you, robots!" I had thought the show would be a bit of a letdown, since my expectations were so high after Coachella, but that was not AT ALL the case. Good lord, do I love those robots and their sweet hott french glam dance pop.

The next morning I got up at five to catch a flight out of JFK, but ended up missing my plane. The LIRR website says it's a 35-minute trip from Penn Station to the airport, but apparently that does not include the 20 minutes it takes to get from the LIRR station to the actual airport. Oh well. The flight I did get on was delayed on the tarmac for two hours, during which time the babies on the plane decided to have a crying party. Fun! In the end, it took 15 hours to get from Megan's doorstep to my own.

But when I stepped outside at the Oakland Airport, it was all OK. California is always beautiful in clutch situations, I've noticed. Every time I visited here before moving, it was sunny, breezy, crystal-blue. People told me about the fog, but I secretly didn't believe it, because California is crafty about hitting you with amazing weather just when you need it. My arrival home was exactly like that. The sun was warm, the breeze was cool, everything smelled good, and I've never been happier to be home.

So we've reached the end of my travels, and thus, the end of my travel blogging. I may revive my interweb memoirs for future adventures, but for now I'm going on hiatus. I'm happy to announce, however, that my ex-roommate and recent travel companion Megan will be guest-blogging during her travels to South America. Those of you who know Megan already know to look forward to her reports from the Inca Trail. To those of you who don't, I can promise that if you've enjoyed my blogging, you'll love hers, too.

So with that, I'll sign off. Thanks to everyone who read my blog while I was away. It helped my homesickness a lot to know you were keeping tabs on me. Au revoir!

3 comments:

Irene said...

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Sorry to see you go though. Does that mean that Megan will be posting on this blog? I'll keep an eye on it anyway. Good luck with whatever you do. Ciao.

Mary Jo said...

Hey, thanks for sharing your adventures with us. You're probably glad to get home, but darn, now I'll have to search for some other worldwide traveler to live vicariously through!

Best wishes!

annie said...

i enjoyed reading it too...