Thursday, August 16, 2007

I feel the earth move under my feet


So I was in the middle of my flight to Lima yesterday, spending a few poorly-fed stopover hours at Miami International (seriously, Miami, would it KILL you to keep a few restaurants open past 10pm?), when I heard some news...

I guess I sort of knew that Lima had to be near a continental plate because...mountains, but of the potential catastrophes I´d planned for, earthquake was not really in the top ten. I usually plan for Megan-centric problems, like passport loss, hotel confusion, or concussion. Not natural disasters. When I first heard about it, I was obviously worried-the BBC was doing its full-on "QUAKEWATCH: EARTH STRIKES BACK" thing, and they said people were sleeping in the streets in Lima, that cars were crashing, that the electrical system was down and that generally, fire and brimstone were raining from heaven and it was the end of days. But I steeled myself--I figured I had all my camping gear so I could sleep outside if I had to, I had first aid supplies, I had friends in the area, maybe I could actually help some people who had been hurt--and began stockpiling potable water.

My nerves continued until I landed in Lima, at which point...nothing. Total calm. Plane landed fine, driver picked me up, orderly traffic, water and electricity in order, no sign of panic in the streets or fires raging through the city infrastructure. Everything seems...normal. I know it´s not, and I know lots of people were killed and injured, but I think a lot of that must be further south, because I spent all day driving/walking around Lima talking to people, and things are really calm here. Obviously I can´t speak for the rest of Peru, but I´ll keep everyone posted as I head to Cusco and parts beyond.

I now know what an aftershock feels like, which is unnecessarily exciting. It hit while I was taking my morning nap. I expected terror and falling tiles, but I think it was light, because it mostly felt like I was in the bottom of a flimsy bunk bed and the top bunk was climbing down.

Anyway, other than being delicately perched atop sideswiping tectonic plates, Lima is great. I´ve never been to South America before, and it´s a pretty good place to start. Everyone has been so friendly, and I´m really happy with my hotel (beach--and therefore epicenter--adjacent!) and with the food I´ve been able to scrounge. Plus, now the bar for my vacation has totally been lowered--before I had to have great times and take lots of pictures and make magical memories. Now I´ll just be happy if the ground stays relatively steady.

In related news I have an unsettling history of taking international flights just before or closely after terrorism catastrophes or scares. I hit 9/11, the shoe bomber, and the recent liquid explosive scare by less than a week each time (if they had started that terrorism futures market, knowing my flight schedule would totally be insider information). But I´ve never brushed up against natural disasters before. Are my powers of discord and disorder becoming stronger? You be the judge.

3 comments:

Irish said...

Megan - Glad to hear that you arrived safely in Lima. Perhaps this time around the universe couldn't come up with any terroist activity to coincide with your travels and so decided to play with mother nature instead.

Hopefully the rest of your journey will be smooth sailing. =)

Also glad to see you've joined the blog. I really enjoyed reading about Anna's travels in Europe and now I look forward about hearing of your South American adventures!

Irene said...

Thank goodness Lima wasn't hit harder by that quake. It is good to hear that you are safe and well. I am looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip southward. I hope you don't run into too many post disaster areas. I used to live in earth quake country and I remember the feeling when a big one hit. You feel very small when it does.

Squire McGuire said...

I have similar disaster experiences with theme parks - Great Adventure - one week after I was there in 84 was the fire in the haunted house? - Disney - 1 week after I was there in 06 someone died on a ride, (warning I am going there at the end of October so stay away for 2 weeks thereafter) and finally Ocean City New Jersey - I rode the Log Flume 3 days before the accident that injured some folks....yeesh...